Monday 22 July 2013

The Red Thread




Tomorrow evening is the opening of my first solo show. I am exhausted and happy, having installed most of the works today. Here is the show description:

"Spots of blood, hairs tucked under stitches, stains and smudges. Old quilting folklore states that to protect the owner of a quilt, red thread must be used somewhere in the quilting process. Like veins pumping plasma, the red thread weaves its way through each piece in this exhibition, protecting, overseeing. Ruby Hoppen makes quilts that breathe, blush and bleed."

If any Melbournites feel like swinging past, the show is on at First Site Gallery, 344 Swanston Street, Storey Hall Basement, RMIT. The work will be up for the next two weeks, and I will be sitting the gallery some days like a real adult professional artist who has shows.

I think that's all I can manage for now, Goodnight.



3 comments:

  1. That quilt is magnificent Ruby.
    Best wishes for a successful show. If I lived in Melbourne I'd be checking it for sure.
    Can you show us some of your other quilts on the blog down the track please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats wonderful....I am sure you will sell lots. Enjoy the opening and bask in the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so exciting. I wish I were in Melbourne to come and see your show. Good luck and all the very very best! xo

    ReplyDelete