Tuesday 2 April 2013

Woollen Quilt








Today was cold and rainy so I hunkered down and finished hand quilting this big woollen patchwork blanket that has been in the works for about a month now. I am really pleased with the finished product- it is folded at the end of our bed as I type, waiting to warm us through the cold night.

When I started making this quilt I wanted to play around with tone and let the colours form their own relationships by being as desultory with my stitching as I would allow myself. I chose a limited palette for the patchwork and then 7-8 different coloured yarns for the actual quilting. It is a double bed size and very warm with only two layers. I used materials exclusively from my fabric stash and it took me about 25 hours to complete.

I think I am going to make some similar blankets this Winter. I love to mindlessly hand-stitch in front of a movie or a television series, especially in colder weather with the quilt draped over my knees, keeping me toasty.


11 comments:

  1. That is beautiful!! I love all the hand stitching! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is glorious Ruby.
    I would absolutely love one of these on my bed. Here's to warm toes this Autumn/Winter.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colours Ruby. I am doing lots of embroidery for a school fete theme project and have to say I am loving tucking into some stitchery in front of the telly or anywhere I get to sit really. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really wonderful, such a great idea. Dont orange and pink look happy side by side!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this quilt turned out - especially the different colors of thread!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful use of colour. Just the thought of happily stitching at night inspires me to make my own.

    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! really gorgeous Ruby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruby, this is so pretty. I'm such a sucker for quilts, and I love how you made the backing even look quilted with blocks of colorful stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the look of this quilt and the feel that the hand-stitching gives. A few months ago I bought a kanthar quilt, you may have heard of them but if not, they're traditionally made by ladies in India layering up old saris and quilting them by handstitching in rows (like you've done here). Quite thin and so not hugely warm, but very pretty! I'd love to make my own quilt one day but am rather intimidated by the quilting process!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just spent some time losing myself in your lovely blog. Rather than spam you with comments on each one I thought I would leave just one. I'm adding you to my bloglovin' list.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete