Tuesday 24 January 2012

Feedsack Dress







I collect knitting patterns. I have since I was about 14. Every time I go into an op shop I go straight for the craft section and flick through all of the knitting and crochet books. I now have an extensive collection of 'Patons' knitting books from the 1920s to the 1980s and then plenty of other publications in lesser volumes. Lately I have been sorting through them and putting them in chronological order. 
Sorting through them makes me very excited to start sewing or knitting something new- and the other day I actually found a sewing pattern catalogue from the 40s with a beautiful design for a bodice with pleating at the bust and a central band in a bell shape. 




So I got to work drafting a paper pattern for a similar bodice on my mannequin. Everything came together rather quickly, and since it has been so hot in Melbourne lately, I decided to make it strappy with a crossed back. The skirt is a half circle and it closes with a zipper.

I really enjoyed making this dress. It was an afternoon job and I will definitely be using this pattern again.












And of course, Casper wanted to be part of the photo shoot too. Cue dramatic baby/mummy shots.
Also, check out our veggie garden in the background, the tomatoes are growing wildly up the back fence!




3 comments:

  1. Great job with the dress! I love the last shot. Dramatic indeed. What an adorable bub - looks like you!

    Go the vegie garden! We have started ours up and our tomatoes have flowers but wow I hope they grow up the fence as your's do!

    bxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang Ruby! Your sewing skills know no bounds!
    Gorgeous fabric/dress/lady/dramatic mother/baby shots xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, you are such an inspiration for learning to sew! <3 The print is exquisite- and I love the straps!

    x
    Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete